“Good marketing makes the company look smart. Great marketing makes the customer feel smart.”
Chief Marketing Officer, Pendo
Account-Based Marketing (ABM) has evolved as a highly effective strategy for B2B organizations looking to align sales and marketing efforts more closely. The targeted, personalized nature of ABM makes it crucial for marketers to deeply understand their audiences, from key accounts to individual decision-makers within those accounts. This is where the “Voice of the Customer” (VoC) comes into play as an invaluable resource. VoC methods are designed to capture the collective feedback and opinions of your customers, providing insights that can shape various aspects of your business, including your ABM strategies.
What is the Voice of the Customer (VoC)?
Voice of the Customer is a term that encapsulates the feedback and opinions gathered from your customer base. It’s a research method that involves collecting data through various channels—surveys, reviews, social media, interviews, and more—to understand customer sentiment, expectations, and behaviors. This can include metrics like Net Promoter Score (NPS), Customer Satisfaction Score (CSAT), and even qualitative data like interviews or open-ended survey questions.
Importance of VoC in Business
Ignoring your customers can be detrimental to your business. Leveraging VoC data can result in:
- Increased customer loyalty
- Improved customer satisfaction
- Enhanced customer experience
- Greater customer lifetime value
- A boost in customer retention
- Higher levels of customer engagement
In summary, VoC can significantly improve customer relationships and thereby increase sales.
How VoC Integrates into ABM
1. Enhanced Account Segmentation
VoC data can assist in segmenting accounts more accurately based on customer feedback, needs, and behavioral patterns. This makes your ABM campaigns highly targeted and more likely to resonate with the audience.
2. Personalized Content and Messaging
Knowing what your customers value and what problems they are looking to solve allows you to tailor your messaging and content accordingly. This aligns perfectly with ABM’s objective of customized engagement.
3. Informed Decision Making
VoC offers metrics and insights that can guide key business decisions, making your ABM campaigns more effective. Whether it’s choosing which account to prioritize or which channel to invest in, VoC data can provide invaluable direction.
4. Build Stronger Relationships
VoC allows you to understand the needs and pain points of your customers. Addressing these in your ABM campaigns can significantly enhance customer relationships.
Implementing VoC in ABM: Best Practices
- Define Objectives: Know what you want to achieve with VoC data. Are you looking to improve customer satisfaction, or are you more focused on increasing sales within key accounts?
- Data Collection: Use a mix of quantitative and qualitative data, gathering information from various sources to get a well-rounded view.
- Regular Analysis: Analyze the collected VoC data periodically to identify trends, issues, or opportunities that could impact your ABM strategies.
- Action and Feedback Loop: Implement changes based on the analysis and measure the impact. Share these results with your team to ensure everyone is aligned.
- Automation and Integration: Use automation tools to integrate VoC data into your CRM and ABM platforms. This makes it easier to implement real-time changes to your campaigns based on current customer sentiment.
- Continuous Monitoring: Like ABM, VoC is not a one-time task but an ongoing process. The needs and wants of your customers will change; your strategies should evolve accordingly.
Conclusions and Next Steps
Voice of the Customer is not just another corporate buzzword; it’s a cornerstone of effective business operations and, increasingly, a vital part of successful Account-Based Marketing strategies. As ABM continues to gain traction in the world of B2B marketing, integrating VoC data can significantly amplify your efforts, making your campaigns more personalized, targeted, and effective.
If you haven’t already implemented VoC within your ABM framework, now is the perfect time to start. Take steps to systematically incorporate customer feedback into your strategies, and watch your ABM efforts reach new heights of success.
Looking to start or improve your VoC efforts? Book a meeting with our team of experts to discuss how we can help you amplify your ABM strategies through valuable customer insights.